Friday, June 20, 2008

Camp Rock Review

Alright! So I watched it. Whyyy I did is just beyond me. But here's my review on it, so....

***SPOILER ALERT***


So I'm doing this review while it's still fairly fresh in my mind. There was seriously nothing else on tonight (that I wanted to watch, anyway) so I thought to myself, why the heck not?! I think it's pretty darn amusing that I ended up watching this with my family. It's hilarious how even my dad is getting annoyed by all the promos and how the JoBros and Miley Cyrus are constantly made such big deals. He kept going on and on about how annoying and fake Demi Lovato's smile is, and how slutty everyone looked (but he thinks that about ALL the Disney Channel girls). Really, I'm just glad that Slimey wasn't in it, since she just loooves to be in everything. I kept hoping she wouldn't have some random cameo or something.

In all honesty, it wasn't THAT bad. But it wasn't like, "OMG that was the bestest movie I've ever seen!!!" either. It was just so-so to me. I think that if it didn't get SOO MUCH hype and they didn't show the music videos and promos for it ALL THE TIME, I wouldn't have been so impartial to it early on. Well, those reasons as well as my impartialness to the JoBros. I still can't believe it got a 6.2 on IMDb, but actually right now when I checked on it, it went down to a 5.3!! WOW, big jump. I can accept that though. I didn't think it was better than HSM or HSM2 (which got a 5.5 and a 5.0, respectively), but I didn't think it was worse, either.

So with all that being said, first thing I have to say is how surprised I am that Nick and Kevin Jonas were hardly in the movie. Seriously, they were only in like 3 or 4 scenes. Not that I'm complaining that Joe got all the screen time, but yes, if I had to pick a favorite JoBro it would be him. By the way, Connect 3 is one of the most ridiculous band names everrr.

The music was actually okay. Again, if it didn't get so much hype and if I hadn't seen the "We Rock" video like fifty gazillion times, I probably would've thought differently. I actually liked "Gotta Find You" by Joe Jonas. The song that Jasmine Richards sings, "Here I Am", is also pretty good. Same with "This Is Me" by Demi Lovato. The supposed hip-hop and reggae songs weren't that spectacular to me, but then again I'm used to listening to a bit harder core hip-hop/rap. I really wish Ana Maria Perez de Tagle had a solo, she also has an AMAZING voice (her being in one of the hip-hop songs doesn't really count). Speaking of Ana Maria, she pretty much played the same character as she did in Hannah Montana, only a bit less dumber/ditzier. I don't know if I really like Meaghan Jette Martin's acting. She seemed like she was trying too hard to play the bad girl, so it came off as forced and fake to me. I also wish we saw more of Alyson Stoner performing. She only had like one solo moment and even that was cut short thanks to Tess (Meaghan Jette Martin).

As for the "romance" between Shane (Joe Jonas) and Mitchie (Demi Lovato), I think it could've been developed more. It's like they just started hanging out a bit out of the blue. Well, after they randomly run into each other, which resulted in them randomly running into each other a second time. Don't get me wrong, it was kinda cute and sweet at some points. I'm still a bit bummed that they never kissed. This is JUST like it was at the end of HSM. Urgh! Please don't tell me they plan on making a Camp Rock 2 and then have us wait until the very, very, VERY end for them to kiss?! Oy vey, that was frustrating.

There're just a few things that puzzle me. When I looked up the soundtrack on Amazon, I noticed that Jasmine Richards isn't listed as the singer for "Here I Am", but it's someone else named Renee Sandstrom. WHAA?? And I also don't get why she didn't use her character's name, Peggy, and instead went by a different name before she was introduced on stage. There are a few more things I'm a bit confused about... well, just things that I thought were going to happen differently based on subtle hints dropped but didn't exactly happen that way. But that's just me, so don't mind me and my natural state of confusion. Speaking of confusion, am I the only one who TOTALLY missed the character intros?? Seriously, besides Shane, Mitchie, Caitlyn, and Tess, I had NO idea what the names of the other cast members were.

So in case y'all weren't aware, Camp Rock is taking up the ENTIRE weekend, all up until Monday. On Sunday, it's premiering on ABC Family as well, and it's
"the first Disney Channel original movie to have access rights to other cable networks of the Disney company from ABC to ABC Family in airing the film's screen debut." That's straight from IMDb, by the way. And yes, it'll be on ABC, ABC Family, Disney Channel, as well as Disney.com. That's FOUR different places, y'all!! Besides its world premiere, JoBros is also premiering their new music video for "Burnin' Up", which features Selena Gomez as Nick's girl (*points and laughs at Slimey*). And if you watch the premiere on ABC Family, you'll get to see a premiere of a new episode of Jonas Brothers: Living The Dream. And as if that wasn't enough, they also finally showed a more detailed promo for The Cheetah Girls 3 (it sounds like the other songs besides "One World" are better, at least just based on the teensy clip I heard). It's premiere-overload, I tell ya!

Okay, I think I'll stop there. Please feel free to share your thoughts on the movie! These are just my honest opinions, so please no bashing of mine and I won't bash yours. ;)

4 comments:

R2C said...

Awww! Yay for writing a review about this! No, I haven't seen it yet because I'm still in Boston sans Disney Channel. But I have read tons of comments about it on LJ and actually, a lot of people agree with you (as in, they mentioned a lot of what you said in this post) so don't feel bad! I guess the little Jonas Brothers obsessed pre-teens will be obsessed with it and think it's the greatest no matter what, lol.

So I basically feel like I've seen the whole movie already from what I've read about it, lol. First of all, what the hell name is "Mitchie." Are you kidding me?! And I hear this Tess chick is so bitchy that it's irritating, not like Sharpay bitchy. And I also read that Joe was in it the most, which also surprised me. I thought Nick would be in it a lot for sure.

What what Anna Maria didn't have a solo? That is so wrong right there. She has an amazing voice! As for your Jasmine Richards question... she actually didn't sing that song. I hate it when they do that... it's such a bummer.

I read many times that "Alyson Stoner was the only person under 30 who could actually act." HAHA. Like literally, TONS of people mentioned that. Agree/Disagree? (I can't judge yet!)

Yep, they supposedly already have a Camp Rock 2 planned (yes, BEFORE this freakin movie even premiered) so I'm sure they'll have some kiss action then. It sucks though that they didn't do it in the movie. Disney used to be all kiss-happy back in the good old days, what happened?

Speaking of Camp Rock related things planned before the movie premiered, I just saw a picture of a Camp Rock bed set... like seriously you have got to be kidding me with that.

lol at *points and laughs at Slimey* I coudn't agree more. How was their music video anyway? I read constantly that people are obsessed with the part where Nick is like "for you baby" LOL. I *still* don't get their appeal, but sure. Actually there was a poll on the DC LJ comm that asked who our fave DC star is, and the Jo Bros had MORE THAN 100 VOTES. They were ahead of EVERYONE. Like... honestly, I still don't get their appeal at all.

R2C said...

Oops, I didn't mean to delete that message?

Anyway, as I said... I *just* realized that hey, they're showing it on ABC! As in... I can watch it tomorrow! Haha I had it in my mind that I would have to wait until next week to see it, but I guess not.

The only thing that would keep me from watching it tomorrow would be if I'm still with my group working on my final project due Monday, but if that's the case I won't be too heartbroken hahaha.

Serina said...

Lol, aw okay I feel better now knowing I'm not the only one who thinks these things. I never really know what to think of these tweeny movies. I mean, sometimes I feel my age creeping in and think I'm being overly critical and whatnot.

OMG I knoww, when I first heard the name Mitchie I also thought the very same thing you did. That is like the ugliest name for a girl everr. It's not even cute. I mean, srsly, what is that short for?? And yea, Tess was definitely an annoying meanass bitch ho. I kept thinking to myself every time she came on screen to STFU/go away already.

Yes it's upsetting about Ana Maria. Even more upsetting now finding out that wasn't even Jasmine Richards!! It srsly looked like she was singing forreals! Definitely fooled me. UGHH, why did they DO that?! When Ana Maria obviously has a voice. GRR!! That makes me mad. Ana Maria is sooo overlooked and under-rated.

LOL on that comment about Alyson Stoner. But yea, she was good.. but we already know that, she's been in the business for so long already. Demi Lovato wasn't that bad, though. The rest of them were just eh, so-so. I can see why a lot of people think that.

UGHHH why does it NOT surprise me about CR2. As well as the merchandise. *rolls eyes* Srsly Disney, stop being so freakin desperate. It's starting to get pathetic.

UGH, tots agree about JoBros. You're not the only one who doesn't get their appeal either. I'm just laughing internally right now picturing all the tweens drooling over the new video and the "for you baby" at the very end. The vid was unique, I guess. They all dressed a bit fancy at the poolside, and each of them played some goofy action hero; like Nick was James Bond, and Joe had a 'stache. Selena looked really pretty, though. The whole "feud" between Slimey vs Selena/Demi makes me giggle sometimes.

Unknown said...

Peggy is a nickname for Margaret! That's why Jasmine Richards was introduced differently at "Final Jam"

I definitely agree about Alyson Stoner needing a bigger solo moment. She was the best part of the movie, for me.